Saturday, January 26, 2008

Boston-MRS meeting 2007

I went to boston after the thanksgiving break to attend the MRS fall meeting. It's a big meeting in the field of materials science. Steven Chu, the nobel prize laureate in physics, gave an invited talk on the energy problem in the meeting.

My heart, however, was flying outside the conference. With a job-offer in hand, I felt zero pressure at the time. Teaming up with my fellow co-worker, Jiong, we ate in and out of Boston. It's my second time here to Boston. The first was with my parents. This time, I was mainly lodging in the culture district of city, near the manchester avenue and the convention center. To my pleasure, Boston is a very walkable city, unlike many cities in america (chicago, st louis, LA). Streets in Boston are clean, safe to walk on, and nice to look at. Boutique stores are around the corners, snobbish dressing pedestrians are walking around and the whole air brought me back to the 18th century colonial time.

Charlestown is my favorite town, next to the Anapolis, maryland in my list. The town sports two-story colonial houses everywhere. You walk here, you go back in time. The end of november was a little bit chilly in boston. But touring among the stone-paved streets made me feel warm.

I had a final round interview with Infinium lined up in the beginning of december. I decided not to go. So far, finance is not my cup of tea. We will see.

December begins my thesis writing. I also resubmitted my nature materials paper after 3 months of pause.

No comments: